Cake values integrity and transparency. We follow a strict editorial process to provide you with the best content possible. We also may earn commission from purchases made through affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more in our affiliate disclosure.
Enduring the death of a friend is painful. You may have known them since childhood or attended their wedding. You may have seen them through major life milestones, and vice versa. A friend dying is like losing a family member.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Inspirational Quotes About the Death of a Friend
- Sad Quotes About the Death of a Friend
- Quotes About the Death of a Childhood Friend
- Quotes About the Sudden Death of a Friend
- Quotes About the Death of a Best Friend
Coping with the death of a close friend, especially if it was sudden, is a challenge. How can you cope with overwhelming grief? Sometimes, venting to others or expressing emotions is cathartic. Sometimes, our emotions are too overwhelming to put into words straight away. Fortunately, many writers have put down their feelings after a friend died. Sometimes, it’s easier to let someone else speak for you.
The quotes below are both inspirational and sad. Have a look through and perhaps you’ll find one that captures your emotions during this intense time. Feel free to use these quotes in a eulogy for your friend, reflect on them by yourself, or share them with others.
Share your final wishes, just in case.
Create a free Cake end-of-life planning profile and instantly share your health, legal, funeral, and legacy decisions with a loved one.
Inspirational Quotes About the Death of a Friend
Grief can block out any positive emotions. When you’re mourning a friend, take time to remember all the great memories you have with them.
1. “On the death of a friend, we should consider that the fates through confidence have devolved on us the task of a double living, that we have henceforth to fulfill the promise of our friend's life also, in our own, to the world.” —Henry David Thoreau, Author
Carrying on your friend’s legacy is a dutiful task. Trying to live a lesson they taught through their way of life is a way to honor them.
2. “While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.” —John Taylor, President of the Church of Latter-Day Saints
Grief has a way of inducing tunnel vision. Taylor reminds us that if you believe in an afterlife, others want to meet your friend there.
3. “Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, / Advanced a stage or two upon that road / Which you must travel in the steps they trod.” —Aristophanes, Philosopher
Losing a friend often makes people feel lonely and deserted. Aristophanes reminds us that they’re only a few steps ahead along the road we all walk.
4. “The comfort of having a friend may be taken away, but not that of having had one.” —Seneca, Philosopher
The memories of your friend will never fade away.
5. “You cannot stop loving your friend because he's dead, especially if he was better than anyone alive, you know?” —J.D. Salinger, Author
Love transcends all boundaries. It allows people to continue loving after death, even if they can’t see their friends anymore.
» MORE: Create a free online memorial. Honor your loved one, share funeral details, and collect memories and tributes.
Sad Quotes About the Death of a Friend
Losing a friend is something many people experience. Knowing your feelings are universal doesn’t make it easier, though.
6. “The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired.” —Robert Southey, Poet
Sometimes, it feels like you’ll never get over the grief. It can feel all-encompassing. Southey admits that you’ll get over the pain, but never the loss.
7. “Tell your friend that in his death, a part of you dies and goes with him. Wherever he goes, you also go. He will not be alone.” —Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher
Jiddu’s take on grief allows you to believe that you will never separate from your friend. No matter where they go after death, part of you will be there with him.
8. “Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funeral.” —Kehlog Albran, Author
No matter how close you and your friend were, death separates you both.
9. “He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man.” —Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Author and Pilot
Sometimes, memories can be more powerful motivators than current experiences. Living in a way that would honor your friend’s memory is motivating.
10. “What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” —Helen Keller, Teacher and activist
Keller states that loss is impossible because love makes people a permanent part of you. If this is true, you’ll never lose your friends.
Quotes About the Death of a Childhood Friend
Childhood friends have an inseparable bond because of the memories you have together. From getting braces to starting college, their impact is incalculable.
11. “The bond between friends cannot be broken by chance; no interval of time or space can destroy it. Not even death itself can part true friends.” —John Cassian, Theologian
Friendship and love are the only things more powerful than death. Even if you don’t see your friend again, your bond still matters.
12. “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to.” —Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Psychiatrist
The psychological ramifications of grief get complicated. The idea that grief changes you forever is scary but understandable.
13. "Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us every day... unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed, and very dear." —Unknown
Feeling abandoned by deceased friends is natural. The idea that they are near to you is a comforting one.
14. “In the garden of memory, in the palace of dreams... that is where you and I shall meet.” —Lewis Carrol, Author
Sometimes, memories and dreams are all you have left. They still provide a meaningful space to emotionally reconnect with your friend.
15. "If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." —A.A. Milne, Author
True friends will never leave you. This is because you carry on their legacy and memories in your heart.
» MORE: Create a free website to honor your loved one. It only takes 5 minutes.
Quotes About the Sudden Death of a Friend
Sudden death is devastating. There’s no chance to say goodbye, no chance to prepare yourself. One day your friend is healthy and happy, and the next day they’re gone. Dealing with the whiplash of grief is challenging.
16. “The darker the night, the brighter the stars, The deeper the grief, the closer is God!” —Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Author
If you’re religious, the idea that God is close to you in these moments is comforting.
17. “Without you in my arms, I feel an emptiness in my soul. I find myself searching the crowds for your face—I know it's an impossibility, but I cannot help myself.” —Nicholas Sparks, Author
Searching crowds for someone’s face, even if you know they aren’t there, is an expression of pure grief. Loneliness sometimes doesn’t follow along with logic.
18. “I don’t think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that remains.” —Anne Frank, Author
Misery can swallow up all the good things in your life. Friends and family members that you have left and happy memories can be erased by grief. Frank insists that we focus on the beauty leftover as a survival mechanism.
19. "We need to grieve the ones we have loved and lost in this lifetime—not to sustain our connection to suffering, but to sustain our connection to love.” —Unknown
Closing yourself off from grief feels like a necessary survival mechanism. This quote warns that that approach cuts you off from love, too.
20. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison, Author
You can’t control how you feel. All you can do is learn how to react to your feelings.
Quotes About the Death of a Best Friend
Losing friends that you would go see movies or take a trip with is devastating. Losing someone closer to you than anyone else in the world is unimaginable.
21. "There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone the light remains." — Unknown
Maybe your best friend was one of these people. Even though they are gone now, their impact remains.
22. "Be the things you loved most about the people who are gone." —Unknown
Was your best friend kind? Honest? Brave? The best way to honor their legacy is to emulate these traits in your own life.
23. "My scars are a testament to the love and the relationship that I had for and with that person. And if the scar is deep, so was the love." —Unknown
It’s easy to wish for nothing more than the pain to stop. This quote testifies that the depth of your grief shows how much love you experienced.
24."Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time. It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other." —Leo Buscaglia, Professor
Death has a way of making itself immediate. We don’t have all the time in the world to tell people how much we love them.
25. "Grief is the price we pay for love." —Queen Elizabeth II, Monarch
Loving someone means you’ll grieve them at some point. That doesn’t mean love isn’t worth it.
» MORE: Need help with funeral costs? Create a free online memorial to gather donations from loved ones.
Coping With Grief
Dealing with the death of a friend feels impossible. Allowing yourself to feel every emotion is crucial to healing. Whether you write poetry, go through mementos, or read sympathetic quotes, try to work through it gently. Remember that your friend would be proud to see you healing in their memory.
Post-loss tip:If you are the executor for a deceased loved one, handling the emotional and technical aspects of their unfinished business can be overwhelming without a way to organize your process. We have a post-loss checklistthat will help you ensure that your loved one's family, estate, and other affairs are taken care of.
What is a good quote for a friend that passed away? ›
“May the memory of [insert name] bring you comfort and peace.” “Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.” “My heart is with you in your time of sorrow.” “Wishing you peace and strength during this difficult time.”What is a famous quote about loss of a loved one? ›
“What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, star-dust or sea-foam, flower or winged air.” “The darker the night, the brighter the stars; the deeper the grief, the closer is God!” “All things grow with time, except grief.” “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death.What are nice grief messages? ›
You have my deepest sympathy and unwavering support. Wishing you peace, comfort, courage, and lots of love at this time of sorrow. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. Wishing you the best and know you have my full support in every moment.What are some good uplifting quotes? ›
- “Do the best you can. ...
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” ―Theodore Roosevelt.
- 'It's never too late to be what you might've been.” ―George Eliot.
- “If you can dream it, you can do it.” ―Walt Disney.
- “Trust yourself that you can do it and get it.” ―Baz Luhrmann.
- “We are so sorry for your loss.”
- “I'm going to miss her, too.”
- “I hope you feel surrounded by much love.”
- “Sharing in your sadness as you remember Juan.”
- “Sharing in your sadness as you remember Dan.”
- “Sending healing prayers and comforting hugs. ...
- “With deepest sympathy as you remember Robert.”
- “Everybody is going to be dead one day, just give them time.” ...
- “I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.” ...
- “I do not fear death. ...
- “You only live twice:
- Once when you're born.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender." ~ Tupac Shakur | SRTK.What is a great quote about a loved one? ›
"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." "We are most alive when we are in love." "The only thing we never get enough of is love; and the only thing we never give enough of is love." "There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved."What is a sweet quote about grief? ›
I found it the only way through was to face my pain head on, honor the pain and the tears. I found with every tear I shed I healed just a little. My heart goes out to all of you but especially those early in their grief journey. Have faith that there can be light, love, joy again in your life.What are the 5 phrases of grief? ›
The five stages – denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance – are often talked about as if they happen in order, moving from one stage to the other.
What is a meaningful sentence for grief? ›
He has been unable to recover from his grief at his son's death. She was overcome with grief. the joys and griefs of our lives I've had enough grief for one day.
- “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall” – Confucius.
- “Magic is believing in yourself. ...
- “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them” – Walt Disney.
- “The real test is not whether you avoid this failure…
"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice." "Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that's very important for good health." "Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient." "Courage is grace under pressure."What is a strong woman quote? ›
“A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong.”What is a good memorial quote? ›
“There are special people in our lives who never leave us, even after they are gone.” “We do not remember days, we remember moments.” “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.”What is an inspirational quote on death and grief? ›
"There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief." "Tears are the silent language of grief." "Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind." "There is no grief like the grief that does not speak."What is the quote about loving and death? ›
“Love is stronger than death even though it can't stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can't separate people from love. It can't take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death.” “Life is pleasant.What is the quote about death and smile? ›
“Death smiles at us all; all we can do is smile back.”What is an inspirational lost soul quote? ›
“A lost soul often looks for another lost soul!” “The only good soul is a lost soul, and only a lost soul can find its way home.” “Not every lost soul wants to be found, because not every lost is lost, some of them found something or many thing or even everything in their lostness!”What is the depth of grief quote? ›
The depth of grief that you felt with all the losses is the depth of love.As long as you're alive you get to feel it.
What is the most meaningful quotes? ›
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - ...
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. - ...
- Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. ...
- If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor. -
- “I never want us to be apart again. ...
- “I will love you until my heart stops beating.”
- “A heart that breaks, Is always trying to mend.”
- “If we're not always bouncing back, then it's time to stop giving up.”
- “Loving someone is worth the risk of being hurt.
- Our hearts are breaking for you.
- With sympathy and well wishes.
- Wishing you comfort during this dark time.
- With sympathy and love.
- In memoriam.
- With all our love.
- We are so sorry for your loss.
- Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
Comforting Text Messages
I am thinking of you. I have no words… But I want you to know I love you and am here for you. Holding you close in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could take your pain away. Just wanted to share this photo of [name] with you.
- Be a good listener. ...
- Respect the person's way of grieving. ...
- Accept mood swings. ...
- Avoid giving advice. ...
- Refrain from trying to explain the loss. ...
- Help out with practical tasks. ...
- Stay connected and available. ...
- Offer words that touch the heart.
- I'm so sorry to hear about your [uncle's, aunt's, father's] passing. ...
- Please know that I'm thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.
- Your mother was a loving and caring woman. ...
- I'm devastated by the news of your friend's passing.
Short Encouragement Messages
You are the strongest person I know, and I believe in you, so don't give up. Nothing is impossible when you put in the effort, have confidence, and a big smile on your face. I hope you don't ever feel alone in this life because I'm always there for you.
Your grieving friend only needs your loving support and presence. Attempting to do or say something to fix the situation will only leave you and your friend feeling more powerless. Remember that grief can't be remedied by anything but time, support and compassion.What not to say to someone grieving? ›
- “How are you doing?”
- “You'll be okay after a while.”
- “I understand how you feel.”
- “You shouldn't feel that way.”
- “Stop crying.”
- “At least he's in a better place; his suffering is over.”
- “At least she lived a long life, many people die young.”
- “She brought this on herself.”
Persistent, traumatic grief can cause us to cycle (sometimes quickly) through the stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.
How do you cheer up a grieving friend over text? ›
- Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you, praying for you, and grieving with you.
- I'm here if you ever need to talk.
- My heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family.
- Can I bring you anything? ...
- I'm sorry for your loss.
- Just wanted to share my favorite photo of [name] with you.