Letting go of someone you love can be one of the most difficult decisions to make in life. It can leave you feeling heartbroken, lonely, and confused. Despite what it might feel like right now, letting go of someone you love doesn’t have to mean giving up. Through these forty quotes on letting go of someone you love, we hope that by discovering insights from those who have been through similar experiences as yours, you will find yourself in a stronger and more empowered position than ever before.
Quotes for Letting Go Of Someone You Love
It’s not easy saying goodbye, but thankfully there are wise quotes out there which can offer solace when things don’t work out. Here are the most powerful ones that’ll help get you through this tough time!
- If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello. — Paulo Coelho
- If you love something so much, let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be; if it doesn’t, it never was. — Albert Schweitzer
- There is love in holding, and there is love in letting go. — Elizabeth Berg
- Letting go of someone we love is the hardest thing we will ever do. Some people never surrender to love for the fear of being hurt. But to not have loved, to not have felt the immense joy it brings, would have been a far worse kind of death. — Goldie Hawn
- If you didn’t love him, this never would have happened. But you did. And accepting that love and everything that followed it is part of letting it go. ― Sarah Dessen
- When someone you love says goodbye you can stare long and hard at the door they closed and forget to see all the doors God has open in front of you. ― Shannon L. Alder
- There ain’t no way you can hold onto something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it. ― Kate DiCamillo
- And in the end, letting go was a lot like finding love. I had to learn to say goodbye to the one who gave me the courage to say hello. ― R.M Drake
- Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love? ― Leo Buscaglia PhD
- In the end, I’d loved him enough to let go. From afar, I would love him forever. — Cynthia Leitich Smith
- Love is never supposed to hurt. Love is supposed to heal, to be your haven from misery, to make living worthwhile ― Mia Asher
- Letting go is hard; holding on much harder and moving on seems to be the hardest at times. ― Sepi Tajima
- Never love something so much that you can’t let go of it. ― Ginni Rometty
- If love feels more wrong than right, let it go because love is a privileged choice, a powerful force, a beautiful miracle. ―Farah Ayaad
- The hard part of loving is that one has to learn so often to let go of those we love, so they can do things, so they can grow, so they can return to us with an even richer, deeper love. ― Eleanor Roosevelt
- I think that you never fall out of love with somebody, you just let go and move on. ― Ashley Rickards
- If love becomes too painful, then it’s time to let that love go and save yourself. You have to keep this in mind because you’ll be able to find another love but not another self. — Robert Tew
Related Posts:(Video) Inspirational Quotes on Social Media: Amazing or Annoying?
- 175 Best Short Love Quotes and Sayings
- 55 Love Quotes for a Long Distance Relationship
- 40 Beautiful Love Quotes for Soulmates
Goodbye Letting Go of Someone You Love Quotes
There’s nothing quite like the pain of saying goodbye to someone you love, and yet, sometimes, it’s necessary. To help cope with this emotional loss, here are more thought-provoking quotes from authors, philosophers, and celebrities on how to let go of someone and ultimately find peace in ourselves again.
- You must be strong enough to know that love will come to you when you are ready. You must be strong enough to know when to say goodbye, and know that letting go is not weak. — Marisa Donnelly
- Healthy love will find you as long as you stay believing and seeing it coming through. Don’t let your heart stay where all rooms are closed, and you fear to let go. ― Aisha S. Kingu
- At some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life. ― Tara Westover
- You take your power back by letting people go. ― Emma Xu
- Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny. ― Steve Maraboli
- Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake & help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for. ― Mandy Hale
- Just because someone has been in your life for many years doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a point at which you finally decide to let go. ― Wilfred James Dolor
- You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. ― C. JoyBell C.
- To let go does not mean to get rid of. To let go means to let be. When we let be with compassion, things come and go on their own. ― Jack Kornfield
- Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself. ― Deborah Reber
- The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward. ― Steve Maraboli
- Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it. ― Ann Landers
- Letting go of someone you love is the rarest and truest form of love itself. To stay together needs attachment and understanding. But to stay apart no matter how hard it is and wish for their happiness needs love. ― Shree
- If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate. ― C. JoyBell C.
- You can meet someone who’s just right, but he might not be meant for you. You break up, you lose things, you never feel the same again. But maybe you should stop questioning why. Maybe you should just accept it and move on. ― Winna Efendi
- Staying in a relationship where love is one-sided will only bring misery. It’s better to let go. — Lauren Levine
- There’s a difference between goodbye and letting go. Goodbye is ” I’ll see you again when I’m ready to hold your hand and when you’re ready to hold mine.” Letting go is ” I’ll miss your hand. I realized it’s not mine to hold, and I will never hold it again. ― Unknown
- 35 Best Love Quotes by Edgar Allan Poe
- 35 Best Love Quotes by Paulo Coelho
Quotes About Letting Go of Someone You Love
No matter how much we struggle to try and hold onto the relationship or cling to the hope that things will eventually start to feel right again, sometimes it is just better—and healthier—that we take a step back. Whether it’s accepting that the person isn’t returning your affections anymore or knowing deep down, they are toxic for us in some way, learning how to cut ties with them emotionally might be our only true path towards personal healing. Read on for more inspirational quotes on letting go of a relationship—so that if you’re ever looking for an extra bit of comfort during tough times, don’t hesitate to read through these words from wise sages below.
- Sooner or later, we’ve all got to let go of our past.— Dan Brown
- When it comes to love and loss, acceptance is never easy. We can’t make someone see all we have to give, make them love us, or make them change. All we can do is move on and stop wasting time. — April Mae Monterrosa
- So we’re in this process of letting go of our own attachments to our physical forms and to the people we love, and… basically everything. Life is like this one big process of letting go. — Adrianne Lenker
- Letting go may sound so simple, but rarely is it a one-time thing. Just keep letting go, until one day it’s gone for good. — Eleanor Brownn
- If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them. — Michael Bassey Johnson
- Love is not an excuse to settle for less than you deserve. Love starts with you, with loving yourself first.—Lauren Levine
- To love and let go, love and let go, love, and let go… it’s the single most important thing we can learn in this lifetime.— Rachel Brathen
- It hurts to say goodbye to a person you love knowing that life won’t be the same without him. But its better to give up rather than to fight knowing that you’re the only one fighting.—Unknown
- They say when you really love someone, you should be willing to set them free. So that is what I am doing. I will step back and you will move on. I will let you go. … Your happiness means everything to me. I will listen for your voice in the distance. I will look at the moon. I will keep you in my pocket. I will carry your smile with me everywhere, like a warm and comforting glow. — Tabitha Suzuma
- In the process of letting go you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself. — Deepak Chopra
- Some birds are not meant to be caged, that’s all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. — Stephen King
- Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness. — Steve Maraboli
- The only thing a person can ever really do is keep moving forward. Take that big leap forward without hesitation, without once looking back. Simply forget the past and forge toward the future. — Alyson Noel
- When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free. — Catherine Ponder
- When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need. —Lao Tzu
- Anything that feels forced or harder than it should be or causes you pain and distress is not meant for you. Having this mentality or faith will help you overcome the reluctance that comes with making a decision of whether or not you should let go. Things that are meant for you have a way of flowing smoothly into your life. The more you fight for something that is not meant for you, the more it will fight you. — Rania Naim
- Some relationships are like glass. It’s better to leave it broken, than to hurt yourself more by picking it up and trying to put it back together. — Herman Hesse
Overall, letting go of someone you love can be one of the hardest things you’ll ever do. Although it might hurt acutely in the moment, it’s often necessary for personal growth — to make room for healthier relationships and positive experiences. The quotes above provide us with a bit of perspective about letting go and remind us that life goes on, even though it might seem impossible in the moment. Ultimately, life is all about learning to keep moving forward, even when things don’t pan out as expected or hoped. When we remember this truth, it helps build strength in our resilience so we can continue to find joy over and over again – because life is too precious to get stuck alone in sorrow. Letting go isn’t easy, but by embracing the challenge and allowing yourself some much-needed self-love and healing, you come out on the other side with valuable insight — which will only help set you up for an even brighter future.