Written byShutterfly Community Last Updated: Sep 23, 2022
Whether it’s a simple goodbye to a friend before vacation or farewell to a coworker leaving for a new job—goodbye’s aren’t easy. Sometimes finding the right words to send someone off can be tricky. So if you’re not quite sure what to say, we’re here to help. Check out our collection of famous goodbye quotes to use on any personalized gift, like a card, photo print, farewell party banner, or mug.
Shop Trending Categories
- General Saying Goodbye Quotes
- Funny Goodbye Quotes
- Goodbye Quotes For Friends
- Goodbye Quotes For Coworkers
- Saying Goodbye Quotes To Someone You Love
- Goodbye Quotes For Him
- Goodbye Quotes For Her
- It’s Not Goodbye Quotes
General Saying Goodbye Quotes
The following saying goodbye quotes can be used for almost any farewell. Just pick your favorite below to use for a farewell letter, or consider using them in a set of open when letters.
- “They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.” – Confucius
- “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” – Semisonic
- “Farewell! God knows when we shall meet again.” – William Shakespeare
- “It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest thing in the world.” – John Green
- “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Goodbyes make you think. They make you realize what you’ve had, what you’ve lost, and what you’ve taken for granted.” – Ritu Ghatourey
- “It’s sad, but sometimes moving on with the rest of your life, starts with goodbye.” – Carrie Underwood
- “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
- “Goodbyes, they often come in waves.” –Jarod Kintz
- “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” – Charlie Brown
Funny Goodbye Quotes
If the person you’re sending off has a great sense of humor, you might be looking for some funny goodbye quotes. Check out our selection below or visit our resource on yearbook quotes for additional farewell ideas.
- “See You Later Alligator.” – Bill Haley and the Comets
- “Bye Felicia!” – Friday
- “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go” – Oscar Wilde
- “So long, and thanks for all the fish!” – Douglas Adams
- “We are really going to miss trying to avoid you around here.”– Unknown
- “Don’t ever tell anyone anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” – J.D. Salinger
- “Goodbye, Vietnam! That’s right, I’m history, I’m outta here, I got the lucky ticket home, baby.” – Good Morning Vietnam
- “So long, and thanks for all the fish!” – Douglas Adams
- “I’ll miss you until you come back but I hope you’ll make up for it by getting me awesome gifts. Bon voyage.” – Unknown
Goodbye Quotes For Friends
Saying goodbye to your best friends is never an easy thing. But we hope you can find some help from the goodbye quotes below.
- “We laughed until we had to cry, we loved right down to our last goodbye, we were the best.” – St. Elmo’s Fire
- “A farewell is necessary before we can meet again, and meeting again, after moments or a lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.” – Richard Bach
- “No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.” – Robert Southey
- “Can miles truly separate you from friends? If you want to be with someone you love, aren’t you already there?” – Richard Bach
- “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.” – Irish Blessing
- “You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing.” – E.B. White
Quotes For Coworkers
Whether your coworker is leaving for a new job, parental leave, or retirement, you’re definitely going to miss them around the office. So check out the quotes below or visit our resource on what to write in a retirement card.
- “Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.” – Garrison Keillor
- “This is the beginning of anything you want.” – Unknown
- “Thank you for everything that you’ve accomplished so far, and good luck to everything you will in the future.” – Unknown
- “Having awesome colleagues is a bad habit, because it’ll be impossible to work with someone else now that you’re leaving. Goodbye.” – Unknown
- “So, old friends, now it’s time to start growing up, taking charge, seeing things as they are, facing facts, not escaping them, still with dreams, just reshaping them, growing up.” – Stephen Sondheim
Saying Goodbye To Someone You Love
Saying goodbye to someone you love is heartbreaking. And often, it’s difficult to find the right words to wish them farewell. Look to the quote below for help during this difficult time, or visit our resource on love quotes for additional sentiments.
- “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)
- “The magic thing about home is that it feels good to leave, and it feels even better to come back.” – Wendy Wunder
- “The two hardest things to say in life is hello for the first time and goodbye for the last.” – Moira Rogers
- “Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love.” – George Elio
- “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
- “You know it’s love when you have been saying goodbye for how many times but still you’re not ready to leave.” – Unknown
- “The story of life is quicker than the wink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye, until we meet again.” – Jimi Hendrix
Quotes For Him
If you’re looking for the right words to say while wishing him the best, the following quotes might just help:
- “A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.” – Helen Rowland
- “You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.” – Kiera Cass
- “You had me at hello, goodbye and everything in between.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “We started with a simple hello, but ended with a complicated goodbye.” – Unknown
- “You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.” – Kiera Cass
- “I thought I was stronger than a word, but I just discovered that having to say goodbye to you is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.” – Colleen Hoover
- “The pain of a hard good-bye is the heart’s tribute to the privilege to love.” – Beth Moore
Quotes For Her
No matter who she was to you, you’re going to miss her. And the following quotes express just that:
- “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks
- “This is not a goodbye, my darling, this is a thank you.” – Nicholas Sparks
- “The return makes one love the farewell.” – Alfred de Musset
- “Man’s feelings are always purest and most glowing in the hour of meeting and of farewell.” – Jean Paul Richter
- “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” – Dr. Seuss
- “No more words. We know them all, all the words that should not be said. But you have made my world more perfect.” – Terry Pratchett
It’s Not Goodbye Quotes
Whether it’s a short trip or you just can’t give an indefinite farewell, the following quotes are perfect for you. They’ll help you send someone off without actually saying “goodbye.”
- “You and I will meet again, When we’re least expecting it, One day in some far off place, I will recognize your face, I won’t say goodbye my friend, For you and I will meet again.” – Tom Petty
- “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” – J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)
- “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” – Ernie Harwell
- “Saying goodbye doesn’t mean anything. It’s the time we spent together that matters, not how we left it.” – Trey Parker
- “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” – Charles Dickens
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “We’ll meet again, Don’t know where, don’t know when, But I know we’ll meet again, Some sunny day.” – Vera Lynn
- “Good friends never say goodbye. They simply say ‘See you soon.’” –Unknown
Saying goodbye isn’t easy, but starting with a personalized card is a good thing. If you liked this resource on goodbye quotes and you’re looking for more, check out our other related articles:
- Sympathy Quotes and Sayings
- What to Write in Sympathy Cards
- Graduation Captions
- School Quotes
How do you say goodbye for farewell? ›
- So long.
- Take care.
- See you around.
- Catch you later.
Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime. We'll take the best, for the rest, and someday will find that these are the best of times. Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime. We'll take the best, for the rest, and someday will find that these are the best of times.How do you say goodbye without actually saying goodbye quotes? ›
- Take it easy. Do you feel life is being too hard on a colleague? ...
- Have a good one! ...
- Have a nice day/week. ...
- Until next time! ...
- Keep in touch. ...
- I gotta say take off! ...
- Talk to you later. ...
- I've got to get going.
“Goodbyes make you think. They make you realize what you've had, what you've lost, and what you've taken for granted.” “Moving on, is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard.” “They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.”What is a good farewell quote? ›
“The return makes one love the farewell.” – Alfred de Musset. “Man's feelings are always purest and most glowing in the hour of meeting and of farewell.” – Jean Paul Richter.What is the best farewell message? ›
“All the best in finding new opportunities elsewhere—we will all miss you!” “This is not goodbye, just farewell for now! Thank you for all you have done.” “I hope this has been an enjoyable time at the company and that I'll see you again someday!”How do you write a meaningful goodbye? ›
- Consider the recipient's personality and needs. ...
- Use specifics in your goodbye message. ...
- Express gratitude for your relationship. ...
- Share your memories and gratitude. ...
- Let them know you'll be okay. ...
- Avoid messages of non-acceptance.
- Time your farewell messages correctly.
- Include your last day.
- Personalize each note.
- Stay positive.
- Include your personal contact info.
- Wrap it up with some well wishes.
Get up and make them.” “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.” “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” “We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.”What's better than saying goodbye? ›
|Cheers.||/ ˈtʃɪrz /|
|Best/Best wishes.||/ best /best ˈwɪʃəz /|
|Yours truly.||/ ˈjʊrz ˈtruːli /|
|Sincerely/Yours sincerely.||/ ˌsɪnˈsɪrli/ ˈjʊrz ˌsɪnˈsɪrli /|
How do you express gratitude and farewell? ›
- I cannot thank you enough.
- Words cannot express how much you mean to me.
- I am more grateful to you than you'll ever know.
- I'm eternally grateful.
- You have my deepest thanks.
- I'll never forget your support and kindness.
: an expression of good wishes when someone leaves : goodbye. a heartfelt adieu.What is the most painful goodbye? ›
“Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.”How do you say goodbye and not cry? ›
Listening to music, taking a walk, watching a movie, talking to a friend, writing about your feelings—all of these are small but important techniques for soothing painful feelings.What are some farewell words? ›
- bon voyage.
- hasta la vista.
- Have a good day/have a nice day – This is a phrase that you'll often hear in America, but is one of the most universal and respectful ways to say goodbye to another person. ...
- Take care – This one can be used informally among friends too, but is often heard between strangers. ...
"50 Ways to Say Goodbye" is a pop rock song in the key of E♭ minor. It is in common time with a tempo of 140 beats per minute.What is goodbye in a sentence? ›
He said his goodbyes and left. They said goodbye and went their separate ways. They waved goodbye from the window. She kissed him goodbye.How do you respond to a farewell message? ›
- Good luck in your new role.
- Let's stay in touch.
- Here are my contact details.
- Thank you.
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” — Reinhold Niebuhr.
What are 5 positive quotes? ›
- "When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go." ...
- "Nothing is impossible. ...
- "There is nothing impossible to they who will try." ...
- "The bad news is time flies. ...
- "Life has got all those twists and turns. ...
- "Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."
“The hardest goodbyes are the ones that were never said and never explained, the ones where the story wasn't over.”What's another word for goodbye forever? ›
Adieu. While it may sound pretty benign, the French adieu literally translates as “to god” in Latin. This means it has a sense of finality, like “I won't see you again until after we're both dead. Goodbye forever.” Not so charmingly continental now, is it?What is a good sentence for gratitude? ›
with gratitude He smiled at them with gratitude. gratitude (to somebody) (for something) I would like to express my gratitude to everyone for their hard work. I feel a deep sense of gratitude to her. in gratitude for something She was presented with the gift in gratitude for her long service.How do you say thank you to colleagues when leaving? ›
- Usually, I recommend being specific when thanking someone. ...
- Thank you for all of your help and support.
- Thank you for being great to work with.
- I am grateful to have worked with such a wonderful group of people.
- I appreciate the time you spent mentoring me and helping me to grow my skills.
interjectionhave a nice trip. Godspeed. adieu. adios. bye-bye.What is a goodbye quote by Shakespeare? ›
Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow. My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu!What are golden goodbyes? ›
Meaning of golden goodbye in English
a large amount of money that a company pays an executive when they leave their job: Investors were angry about the outgoing chief executive's £1 million golden goodbye.
- Prepare early. Take time to think about what you want to say and who you want to say it to. You'll have different goodbyes for different circumstances. ...
- Don't delay saying what you mean until the last moment.
- Expect emotions. You might cry, and that's OK.
- Have a good day!
- It was wonderful to talk with you. I must be going. ...
- It was great to talk with you. I look forward to seeing you again soon (or talking with you again soon).
- It was great to see you again.
What is the psychology of saying goodbye? ›
Saying goodbye allows us to put words to feelings, shape how we remember someone, codify our choices, and frame distinct periods of time. In short, goodbyes give us a sense of closure as we move into the next phases of our lives.Why do goodbyes hurt? ›
It's scary to leave behind the safety and security of what you know and enter the unknown. And it's sad because you'll be leaving behind some people too. Change can be difficult, but change can also lead to new adventures and opportunities and growth.Which is the most polite farewell? ›
Bye for now!
This version is much more polite and used when you want to say goodbye in a very nice way. You can use 'Bye for now' when you know (or hope!) that you will speak to that person again very soon. See you! / See you soon! / See you later!
Hope you have a wonderful day/evening/weekend. To politely wish someone a nice time after your meeting/conversation. Take care. A common expression in formal settings; it means you like someone and wish them well.How do you say farewell in a sentence? ›
She then failed to show up for her farewell party. Prepare for a hugely emotional farewell next week. We set aside a time of farewell at their final youth group meeting. He was close to tears when he thanked them in his farewell speech.